How to Sell/ Buy Used Guns in Michigan?
Jan 16 2020
When it comes to guns and the sale of guns in Michigan, there is a lot of misinformation floating around. If you are considering selling your used gun or looking to buy used guns in Michigan, there are a lot of variables you need to consider to keep you safe from purchasing an illegal handgun or selling your gun to the wrong person.
Understanding Private Party Sales and Purchases
While Michigan allows for the transfer of firearms between private parties, there are some restrictions on the sale and purchase of guns between private parties.
A Purchase Permit
A buyer needs to obtain a Purchase Permit from local law enforcement which contains three copies of the license, one for each party, to keep for their records.
- Both the buyer and seller must sign the license, both keeping a copy for their own records.
- The buyer must return the license, signed by both parties, to their local law enforcement within 10 days of purchasing the gun.
- A License to Purchase a Handgun is valid for 30 days.
- Some local agencies may require all unused licenses to purchase forms to be returned to their agency for secure record-keeping.
The Sale of Long Guns in Michigan
Buying long guns in Michigan is easier than purchasing a handgun. A License to Purchase is not necessary when purchasing long guns through private sales. The requirements are simple:
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must have valid ID
- You must have a background check done by a licensed firearms dealer
Circumstances that Prohibit You from Owning a Firearm
A few additional requirements in Michigan can prevent you from owning a firearm. You will be prohibited from owning a firearm if:
- You have been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year
- You are a fugitive from justice
- You abuse controlled substances
- You have been diagnosed as mentally incompetent or have been committed to a mental institution
- You have renounced your U.S. citizenship
- You were dishonorably discharged from the US Armed Forces
- You are subject to a restraining order
- You were convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
How to Get the Best Price for Your Gun
Though navigating Michigan’s gun laws can seem a bit daunting, they are quite simple. But the experts at Lakeshore Tackle & Firearms can assist you in understanding gun laws and making the best purchase for you and your lifestyle.
We can also help you get the best price for the sale of your guns. At Lakeshore, we pay the highest prices for used guns in MI. Not only do we have the largest used gun selection of all gun stores in Michigan but pay 25 to 50% more than our competitors. You can rest assured that you will be able to sell your firearm safely, easily, and legally.
We are 100% compliant with Michigan gun laws and are ready to help you buy a gun or get top dollar for your used firearm.